Called to Serve in the Washington Spokane Mission

Called to Serve in the Washington Spokane Mission
"Come, Thou fount of every blessing, Tune my heart to sing Thy grace, Streams of mercy, never ceasing, Call for songs of loudest praise. While the hope of endless glory Fills my heart with joy and love, Teach me ever to adore Thee, May I still Thy goodness prove."

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Last Letter From the MTC - Off To Spokane in the Morning!

We received this email from Sister Worthen yesterday.  It was her P-day, but also the Saturday sessions of conference.  She was able to listen to conference and still be able to write a few emails.  It was great to hear from her!  She will also be able to call us from the airport on Monday morning.  I'm so looking forward to that! - Brad

"Hey everyone!

I'm flying out to Spokane Washington tomorrow night/Monday morning! We have to get up at 2;30 AM and leave the MTC by 3:30, and our flight is at 8:30! I'll be in Spokane by 9:30 (but we lose an hour so it will still be 8:30 there:)) And i couldn't be more excited to actually start teaching real people and meet my trainer! 
The MTC has been a really great experience and I've learned a ton! I think I've learned more in this week and a half than I ever have before about this Gospel! I'm just barely beginning to understand the Atonement too. Our teachers were great and we did a ton of role playing (which isn't my favorite, but I learn a lot) and our investigators were so great! Both "Bill" and "Barbara" said that once they got an answer that the Book of Mormon was true that they would be baptized! My companion and I were both surprised that Bill accepted the invitation because he was our least progressing investigator. Barbara was definitely my favorite, she was this sweet older lady who LOVED to talk about everything! Her family died when she was only 14 and she spent her entire teenage years in and out of foster care homes. The first vision and restoration lesson really stuck with her, but her favorite lesson was the plan of salvation! Her biggest question was why bad things happen to good people. The spirit was so strong when we taught her the atonement and the plan of salvation! She gave us a huge hug and said her first prayer out loud in front of us. It was the cutest prayer I've ever heard! She told God that "having church (general conference) on TV was a really good idea and that was super convenient for everyone, so thanks for thinking of that 'cuz that was a real brilliant idea!" I'm going to miss teaching Barbara so much. The spirit is so strong here, and even though classes are really long, we are learning so  much about how to be better missionaries! 
So some fun things about the MTC! The bathroom in our residence is literally a choir. Everyone sings in the shower and all of the girls join in and harmonize as people walk in and out of the bathroom getting ready. It's moments like that I wish I didn't sound like a dying seal when I sang;) The elders in my district gave everyone blessings, and Sister Armstrong (my companion) and mine were both really beautiful! We're the only sisters in the district and the elders are kind of protective of us. They're like older brothers who tease us, but then defend us when anyone else tries to tease us if that makes sense:) I've really learned a lot from them! Anyways it was the first time that some of them had ever given a blessing which was really cool! Our district also picks one person a night to say good things about and it's nice to hear that we're doing something right! Sometimes the classes can be really overwhelming and intense and it feels like you're doing everything wrong. but if we do our best and rely on the Spirit everything will work out!:) 
Most days we wake up at 5:45 because there isn't enough time in the mornings to get everything done! Basically you just sleep to stay alive and sane here.;) It felt a bit like one never ending day separated by a few hours of sleep and changing clothes every once in awhile. Our new branch president's name is President Metcalf. His wife is the sweetest woman I've ever met and she gives all of the sister big hugs when she sees us:) it's nice to get a hug instead of a handshake every once in awhile! My companion and i have been getting along great, and it will be sad to say goodbye when we get to Spokane! I love the girls in my zone (they are my roommates too) but since they are going to Seattle i won't see them at all for the next eighteen months! most of them are from Utah though:) Sister Akina (she's Hawaiian) literally is the funniest person I've ever met! Everything she says makes us laugh!
I've seen Britt (Elder Hekking) a lot here too! It's nice to have your best friend in the MTC:) The elders in my district call him "Elder Bae" but they really like him. It's pretty funny because they are allowed to tease me about it, but when anyone else tries they get all defensive for me:) I'm going to miss them! They fly out to Orlando the same night we fly to Spokane. 
Well I love and miss all of you so much! Thank you for all of your letters and packages! They really help and they're total bragging rights here in the MTC;) I'm surprised at how happy I am here and how much I LOVE being a missionary! It's hard work, but just taking it one day at a time and doing the very best you can in the moment and relying on the Lord gets us through:) Being surrounded by other missionaries is amazing. I kind of understand a little bit more what Heleman's army would have been like:)

LOVE YOU ALL!!!
Love,
Sister Worthen

PS I couldn't figure out pictures other than how to send them to my family real quick, so check my blog that my parents update!"

No comments:

Post a Comment